If you like what you see here, like me on facebook and follow me on twitter for more tips and to follow what is going on at the Home Front!

Buckwheat Waffles from Scratch

By - Stephanie Dayle

I was playing around in the kitchen yesterday, and decided I should share this high protein waffle/pancake recipe. Those of you that have seen me around the APN forum know that I can't have gluten and that I am very into buckwheat. Buckwheat grows like a weed in colder climates, it out competes weeds and grass, has a short growing season, doesn't need any fertilizer and leaves the soil improved when its done kinda like alfalfa does. It's a complete protein like quinoa - only I think it tastes better.


Anyways, I came up with a very tasty recipe then sat down and started adding up the protein in my head, these dang things are so high in protein they are almost like eating meat! If there comes a time that meat is a luxury and you wanted to fill up on a breakfast that lasts you through the day this would be it. Besides the fact that it tastes good - and is way better for you than the store bought wheat stuff in a bag these pancakes will stick with you all day. We store lots of different kinds of flours not only for my dietary requirements, but because it helps prevent appetite fatigue. So this is no sweat for us to make.

Buckwheat Waffle/Pancake Mix
Makes aprox 4 full size round waffles or 6+ pancakes

  • 1/2 Cup Buckwheat Flour
  • 1/4 Quinoa Flour (your can sub Sorghum Flour or even Whole Wheat flour if you want, but the protein level will drop with wheat)
  • 1/4 Corn Flour (not corn meal - corn flour is a much finer grind, but not as fine as corn starch)
  • 2 TBS of Tapioca Starch (or Corn Starch - action is similar will not taste different either way)
  • 2 Tsp ground Flax Seed
  • 1 TBS Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Large egg
  • 1-2 TBS of Maple Syrup (optional for flavor)
  • 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 Cup Milk

It always helps when cooking with different types of flours to shift them all together with the baking powder, and soda - this just helps you get a little more cohesiveness out of the batter or dough. Add water to desired thickness. This will also make a fine pancake batter and requires NO xantham gum.

The advantage to learning how to make common bread products without wheat is that if we ever run short on wheat - we will still be able to make alot of the things we enjoy to eat out of other flours. There is a trick to it, but it in the long run its a worthwhile skill to have.

When I make this at home I serve it up with a side of scrambled eggs and I don't get hungry until way past lunch time. I also like doubling this batch and making extra - I stick them in my freezer and make my own 'toaster' waffles. These make great sandwiches too! Just get them out of the freezer toast them, add some peanut (or I prefer almond butter) and homemade jelly - as you are leaving for work or school and you are good to go for a quick breakfast that will last. The high protein content and buckwheat will stabilize your blood sugar so that when you do get hungry, it won't be the "I gotta eat something or I am going to starve to death" kind of hungry, it will be the annoying "but I can deal with you" type of hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that serve only to advertise someones blog or website (aka: SPAM) will be deleted. Comments attacking others or the author will also be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked.

Most Popular Posts